About the Awards
Africa Queen of Energy Awards.
NOMINATIONS FOR DIFFERENT CATEGORIES STARTS ON 21ST SEP 2022 TO NOV 31sT 2022
Our Conference at a glance
Unlocking the potential of renewable energy in providing Sustainable Agriculture & food security and ‘Energizing the Ladder’
The conference is set to take place on 13TH virtual and 14th December 2022 at the Weston Hotel Nairobi. This will be a hybrid event, both Virtual and live beamed across the region.
The conference will look at how renewable energy sources will be deployed along the Agri –Sector value chain to fight climate change and empower women along the way. Agriculture value chain activities have the potential to increase demand for sustainable power by more than 20% in three years. Taking into account that women contribute 60% of the food value chain activities in Kenya therefore highly impacted by any change in the energy landscape.
On 14th December 2022 in the afternoon we will have Inaugural Africa Women in Energy leadership forum with the theme ‘Energizing the Ladder’ where we will bring together board members and top leadership players in the energy space with the key objective of sharing leadership development experience in accelerating the advancement of women in the energy sector and transition
With the current ravaging drought situation and high energy cost all eyes will be focused on the role of renewable energy in unlocking the potential of the agricultural sector and enhancing food security. This conference will look at the opportunities and challenges of deploying.
African women contribute up to 60% to 80% of the food in Sub-Saharan Africa, but they have limited access to productive resources. This is due to poor yields and low productivity, which are attributed to limited women’s access to those resources. The under-performance of agriculture in developing countries is attributable to limited access to productive resources, which women experience more severely than men.
Women are important to the agriculture sector in sub-Saharan Africa, accounting for up to 52% of the workforce and 50% of the work done on farms. However, due to the informal nature of rural poverty, women are often in vulnerable employment, with the majority of vulnerable employment in the developing world being held by women.
Africa Queen of Energy awards CONFERENCE 2022 WILL LOOK AT:
- Cross-sectoral strategies to co-ordinate the planning and implementation of energy transition and food systems transformation.
- Multifaceted financing tools to improve access to capital for farmers, enterprises and end-users. Local and international financial institutions have a key role to play.
- Improved data on renewables applications in agriculture to de-risk projects, improve acceptability and effectively guide sustainable investments.
- Capacity-building initiatives to provide local actors with relevant skills, knowledge and resources to integrate renewable energy solutions in agriculture projects
Largest gathering of women in the energy space in Africa
- The low involvement in the energy value chain has left women vulnerable to climate change challenges with very low knowledge of the science behind.
- More women CEOs have been appointed since the programme started with more coming in
- Dramatic Increase in 25% of women doing business in the energy sector value chain with the from 5% to 14 % in 3 years of women 2015 to 2019 trading in the energy sector.
- Dramatic increase in STEM participation has helped reduce skills gap ,Increase employment and productivity of women.
- Launch of the first Energy Gender policy in the world in the energy sector
- Provide an opportunity to lead in the intellectual discussion as well as
- Opportunity for mentorship and learning from your network which will in turn create a favorable association with your institution among beneficiaries and other stakeholders
- Energy is a product that interacts every day with all customers hence any activities to address existing gaps will have a significant impression on any brand
- To create awareness, new segments and funding opportunities for women entrepreneurs
- As conflicts continue to escalate across the country on energy projects we could create an opportunity to identify sources and solution to these conflicts keeping in mind the woman is left out in the discussion.